Bosch GWS9-115P Grinder - a Toolstop REVIEW
Posted by Mark Hunter - August 20, 2013
Grinders are great multi-function tools. Whether you're cutting metal, sanding, buffing or grinding stone, a good quality, professional grinder is an essential piece of power tool kit to own.
In this review, we'll take a close look at the Bosch GWS-115P grinder (click for full spec and our best price), featuring the ability to run discs of 115mm on the M14 spindle thread.
|Rated Power Output
|Disc /Rubber Sanding Plate/ Wire Cup Brush Diameter||115mm/115mm/75mm
In addition to the above grinding, cutting and sanding capabilities, Bosch have your safety at heart.
A key feature of the GWS9-115 P grinder is how it handles vibration.
Using power tools that reduce the amount of hand/arm vibration you experience will help keep you on the right side of the HSE's rules.
Angle grinders fall under HSE test code EN 60745 which stipulates the "declaration of vibration emission values" as follows:
value of a single machine or the mean value of a reasonably large sample from a batch of
2. Uncertainty, K, in m/s² is a value representing the measurement uncertainty of the
measured vibration emission value a, and also, in the case of batches, production variations
So, how does the GWS9-115P measure up?
Bosch's stated measurements provide values of 2.0 m/s² when sanding with a sanding sheet and 5.0 m/s² when performing rough grinds. Both fall within HSE permittable levels.
We've known for a long time that Bosch, as a professional power tool manufacturer, take operator safety very seriously.
This is especially important for anyone using grinders.
It's comforting to know, then that Bosch has included the following safety features in the GWS9-115P:
- PROtection switch. This is a paddle style switch which the operator must grip while they work. When its released the motor is instantly switched off. As a side note, the benefit of this switch is that it means the grinder can be operated in a variety of positions
- Anti-rotation protective guard. The guard will hold fast even if the disc breaks
- Direct cooling. The grinder's motor is kept cool while you work, helping avoid dangerous overheating/shut-downs, while helping prolong the motor's life
- Champion motor. The GWS9-115 P features a high-power and high-endurance motor, providing the tool with a long life and you with the peace of mind that it will handle the jobs you need it to without burning out
In addition to the above safety features (which are obviously key when operating a grinder), the GWS9-115P packs in some great features.
The cable grommet is new and improved meaning the cable will last longer. The guard features quick and easy tool-free adjustment. The afore mentioned direct cooling of the motor is coupled with long-life brushes (all part of the Champion motor), and the gear head can be rotated through 90º steps.And all of this is packed into a grinder with a length of only 353mm, weighing only 2.1kg.
We invited the guys from Edinburgh Stonemasons to try it out, the team being avid Bosch grinder users. These guys use grinders all day, every day, so we were keen to have them test and review the GWS9-115P for us.
If you use a grinder on a regular basis, what's your thoughts on the features and benefits of the Bosch GWS9-115P professional grinder?
Talk to us in the Comments section below, and be sure to SHARE this article with your Twitter and Facebook friends using our Share buttons.
blog comments powered by Disqus