In this guide we’ll cover the best combi-drills available from Dewalt, helping you to make your mind up on which one is the best for you.
In our guide, we’ll shortlist a combi-drill from Dewalt to suit most budgets. Bear in mind, opting for a body-only – or naked – combi-drill will be the most cost-effective way to upgrade if you already use Dewalt XR batteries.
What Features Should I Look for in a Dewalt Cordless Combi-Drill?
The answer to this is pretty much the same features you’d want from any combi-drill:
- Quality of the chuck. Metal is almost always better than plastic
- Impacts or beats per minute. The higher the number, the most blows will be delivered to the business end of your drill bit when drilling into brick or masonry
- The amount of torque. Torque is going to determine how well the drill will turn screws into the material, particularly important if you need to push big screws into tough material
- Any additional kit. This could be extra batteries, a kit or box, etc
Share our guide with your pals on Facebook and Twitter
All Dewalt combi-drills benefit from being on the XR platform. XR technology is Dewalt’s proprietary system to manage the current from the battery, up through the variable speed trigger switch, to the motor of the tool. It’s all about making sure the tool performs at the top of its game while handling the tough jobs you’ll throw at it, and preventing potential damage to the battery or motor.
Dewalt Combi-Drill on a Budget – What’s the Best One?
You don’t have to break the bank to get a Dewalt combi-drill, and the DCD785N proves that. Obviously, with it being body-only, you’ll need to supply your own 18v XR battery that you may already own (or can borrow!). Failing that, you can pick one up, along with the compatible Dewalt charger, here. The chuck isn’t metal, which is another cost-saving move by Dewalt, but the performance spec is respectable:
- No Load Speed: 0-600/2,000 rpm
- Beats per Minute: 0-10,200/34,000 bpm
- Max Torque: 60 Nm across 14 torque settings
- Max. Drilling Capacity Wood: 38 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity Metal: 13 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity Masonry: 13 mm
Dewalt Combi-Drill Midrange Spec – What’s the Best One?
This is still an affordable combi-drill from Dewalt on the XR platform, but it still packs in loads of great features from the metal chuck, all-metal gearbox and transmission, making it super-durable and tough. On top of that, it benefits from a second generation brushless motor, which Dewalt assures you will give you 30% more power on the trigger and much better efficiency. This translates into longer runtimes per charged battery. Talking of which, it’s supplied with an 18v 5Ah battery which will allow the DCD796 to run all day with ease. Performance-wise the spec is great:
- Max Torque (Hard): 70 Nm across 15 torque settings
- Max Torque (Soft): 27 Nm
- Power Output: 460 Watt
- No Load Speed: 0-550/2000 rpm
- Beats per Minute: 0-9350/34000 bpm
- Chuck Capacity: 1.5-13 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity [Wood]: 40 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity [Metal]: 13 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity [Masonry]: 13 mm
A great touch is the 3 position bright LED job light which is angled from the base of the unit up to the chuck.
The DCD796 is a fantastic combi-drill with a great price point and supplied 5Ah battery. In addition in the box, you’ll get a TStak carry case and the DCB115 charger. Buy yours here.
Dewalt Combi-Drill with Smart Technology – What’s the Best One?
Dewalt DCD797D2B 18V XR Brushless Tool Connect Compact Combi Drill Driver in TSTAK Box (2 x 2.0Ah Batteries) – See it here
The Dewalt DCD797D2B is a combi-drill that offers similar performance to the DCD796 but gives you smart technology into the bargain via the Tool Connect system. Connect the tool to the Tool Connect app on your phone and you’ll be able to track its location in the event of theft, and allows you to set the tool up for specific applications to ensure optimal performance. Three customisable Tool Connect modes allow for the user to switch between different application settings quickly and easily. A fourth “home” setting guarantees that there is always a familiar base drilling setting available. Performance-wise the spec is as follows:
- No Load speed: min-1 – 0-2000
- Impact Rate:
- 1st Gear: min-1 – 0-9300
- 2nd Gear: min-1 – 0-34,000
- Max Torque Hard/Soft: 70/27 across 13 torque settings
- Chuck Capacity: 1-5 – 13mm
- Maximum Drilling Capacity:
- Wood: 40mm
- Metal: 13mm
- Masonry: 13mm
The motor is, of course, brushless with all the performance benefits that go along with it, and the kit includes a TStak box with space for the two supplied 2Ah 18v XR batteries and charger. Buy yours here.
Dewalt Combi-Drill With Top End Spec – What One Should I Buy?
Dewalt DCD996X1 18V Cordless XR 3 Speed Brushless Combi Drill (1 x FLEXVOLT 9.0Ah Battery) – See it here
The DCD996 is the daddy of all the Dewalt cordless combi-drills. From its metal nitro-carburized chuck with carbide inserts to ensure a vice-like grip of whatever drill or screwdriver bit inserted, to the brushless motor, which offers you 34% better power and performance, and 3-speed gearbox, the DCD996 is all bells and whistles. The LEDs are controllable across 3 stages giving you brightness from 2.6 to a massive 60 lumens. Performance-wise, the numbers are very impressive, and sets it apart in the Dewalt combi-drill family as the king:
- Max Torque (Hard): 95 Nm across 11 torque settings
- Max Torque (Soft): 66 Nm
- Power Output: 830 Watt
- No Load Speed: 0-500/1500/2250 rpm
- Beats per Minute: 0-8600/25500/38250 bpm
- Chuck Capacity: 1.5-13 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity (Wood): 55 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity (Metal): 15 mm
- Max. Drilling Capacity (Masonry) 13 mm
Bundled in the box with the DCD996 is a TStak box, an XR FlexVolt battery offering you a whopping 9Ah of charge and a multi-volt charger, plus side handle to give you loads of control over tough drilling applications. Buy yours here.
Whatever your budget, we feel there’s a combi-drill from Dewalt on the XR platform to suit you. Which one is your favourite? Let us know in the comments section below, and be sure to SHARE this with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.