Running high powered tools from batteries is a dream for many. The ability for a roofer, for example, to work at height with cordless tools is a bonus as it allows him to be free from the constraints of a power cord.
However, when it’s time to trim hip joints, for example, he’d be forced to carry an unwieldy corded circular saw up to where he’s working.
What if there was a battery that would power your high-draw tools just as efficiently as it powers your impact driver, giving you the freedom to work on tough materials where traditionally only a corded tool would suffice?
In 2016 DEWALT launched the XR FlexVolt battery system and it promised to be yet another positive step in the evolution of tools.
Here are the Top 3 Things You Need to Know about DeWALT’s XR FlexVolt System
#1 – It’s the Evolution Many of You Have Been Waiting For
Dewalt’s UK and ROI managing director said:
“To put this simply, the DEWALT XR FlexVolt range is the next chapter in cordless technology. DEWALT is launching a range of tools that are not just extremely powerful – they will also provide in excess of a full day’s runtime on a single charge for most users.
The potential for this technology is limitless: for each and every trade.”
#2 – It’s a Convertible Battery Platform – the World’s First
The new batteries are both 18v and 54v and they’re completely backwards compatible with all of DeWALT’s massive 18v XR range. The company promises that slotting one of these new XR batteries into your 18v cordless tool will give you “unbeatable runtime”.
The battery has the option to “amplify its voltage” to an unprecedented 54v, meaning they can be used on big, heavy duty construction tools.
#3 – They Hold Lots of Charge
The new batteries, as well as being dual voltage – higher power when your tool needs it – are also 6Ah or 9Ah when slotting into an 18v XR tool, giving you charge to spare. Partner them with a brushless cordless tool, and you probably won’t need to charge the battery at all during the day. There’s even a suspicion that they’ll give your 18v tools a bit of a power boost…
Learn a bit more about these new batteries and tools in our exclusive video guide.
DEWALT FLEXVOLT XR TOOLS – Cordless Tools with the Power of Corded
Share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Google+
What prevents many of the corded tools we rely on daily to make the switch to battery power is simply the draw from the motor is too high.
Whether it’s large diameter grinders, alligator saws or table saws, current technology implies that we need corded versions in order to perform the big jobs.
DeWALT is making no secret of the fact that it believes the new FLEXVOLT XR platform should abolish that mindset. That’s because of the new range of tools they’re releasing that will take full advantage of the world’s first convertible voltage battery.
The company launched the following heavy-duty construction tools that they state are “heavy duty solutions that remain compact and durable”.
Let’s take a look at 4 of them.
- Blade speed: 6300rpm
- Blade diameter: 216mm
- Blade bore: 30mm
- Bevel capacity: 48 degrees
- Mitre capacity left and right: 50 / 50 degrees
- Cutting capacity at 90 deg / 45 deg W x H: 173mm x 62mm
- Cutting capacity at 90 deg / 90 deg W x H: 270mm x 62mm
- Cutting capacity at 45 deg / 90 deg W x H: 189mm x 62mm
- Max. cutting capacity at 45 deg/ 45 deg: 190 x 48mm
- Max. depth of cut (saws): 80mm
• 54V Brushless motor enables improved performance in demanding applications
• Electronic Brake stops the wheel quickly when the trigger is disengaged
• Electronic Clutch reduces the kickback reaction in the event of a pinch or stall
• Rubber over mould provides enhanced grip and comfort
• Recessed spindle lock design allows max depth of cut and greater protection to button when using in confined spaces
• Two position side handle offers greater comfort and control
The motor spins the 125mm disc at 7000rpm and has 1W power input.
• Scale for precise cutting depth setting to 67 mm
• General purpose ripping, cross-cutting and bevelling circular saw for wood and other construction materials
• High torque motor for durability and power for cutting job site and joinery materials
• Stable block construction for low vibration running and long service life
• Additional handle for safe two-handed work
• Variable adjustment of the bevel angle to 57 degrees
Supplied with two 54v FLEXVOLT batteries, the motor spins the blade at 5800rpm and will cut 49mm at 45º.
- Weighs just 22kg with a compact footprint, ideal for transporting across site
- Steel roll cage to protect the saw
- Rack and pinion fence system, front and rear fence lock and large, clear scales combine to give an extremely accurate and easy to use saw
- Powerful 54v brushless motor for high performance
- Overload protection system ensures powerful performance in hard, wet or frozen woods
- Quick bevel lock with large scale for quick and accurate adjustments
- Idea for working on solid wood floorings, concrete form work, fitting out decks
The motor spins the 210mm blade at 5800rpm and allows for a maximum rip of 610mm (right) and 318mm (left), while offering you a depth of cut of 65mm or 45mm at 45º.
So, to summarise, DeWALT’s new FLEXVOLT XR batteries will work on your existing XR cordless tools and will provide you with all-day runtime. But combine them with the brushless heavy duty tools, and you’ll have all the power and capability you’d expect from a corded machine, without the power cord.