DEWALT XR FLEXVOLT - The Best New Battery Platform?
Posted by Mark Hunter - September 13, 2016
Running high powered tools from batteries is a dream for many. The ability for a roofer, for example, to work at height with cordless tools is a bonus as it allows him to be free from the constraints of a power cord.
However, when it's time to trim hip joints, for example, he'd be forced to carry an unweildy corded circular saw up to where he's working.
What if there was a battery that would power your high-draw tools just as efficiently as it powers your impact driver, giving you the freedom to work on tough materials where traditionally only a corded tool would suffice?
Today DEWALT is launching the XR FLEXVOLT battery system and it promises to be yet another positive step in the evolution of tools.
Here's the Top 3 Things You Need to Know about DEWALT's XR FLEXVOLT System
#1 - It's the Evolution Many of You Have Been Waiting For
Dewalt's UK and ROI managing director said:
The potential for this technology is limitless: for each and every trade."
#2 - It's a Convertable Battery Platform - the World's First
The new batteries are both 18v and 54v and they're completely backwards compatible with all of DeWALT's massive 18v XR range. The company promises that slotting one of these new XR batteries into your 18v cordless tool will give you "unbeatable runtime".
The battery has the option to "amplify its voltage" to an unprecedented 54v, meaning they can be used on big, heavy duty construction tools.
#3 - They Hold Lots of Charge
The new batteries, as well as being dual voltage - higher power when your tool needs it - are also 6Ah, giving you charge to spare when you use them in lower draw tools such as drill drivers. Partner them with a brushless cordless tool, and you probably won't need to charge the battery at all during the day.
DEWALT FLEXVOLT XR Tools - Cordless Tools with the Power of Corded
Share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Google+
What prevents many of the corded tools we rely on daily to make the switch to battery power is simply the draw from the motor is too high.
Whether it's large diameter grinders, alligator saws or table saws, current technology implies that we need corded versions in order to perform the big jobs.
Another wee feature we think is great is that these 54 volt batteries come with a transport cap which can be fitted which effectively splits the strings of cells within the battery to make the 108Wh (normally not accepted by most shipping carriers) into 3 x 36Wh so they do not need to be shipped as class 9 dangerous goods. Now, thats a great benefit.
DeWALT is making no secret of the fact that it believes the new FLEXVOLT XR platform should abolish that mindset. That's because of the new range of tools they're releasing that will take full advantage of the world's first convertable voltage battery.
As of today, the company is launching the following heavy-duty construction tools that they state are "heavy duty solutions that remain compact and durable".
Let's take a look at 3 of them.
DeWALT DCG414 54v XR Grinder
• 54V Brushless motor enables improved performance in demanding applications
• Electronic Brake stops the wheel quickly when the trigger is disengaged
• Electronic Clutchreduces the kickback reacton in the event of a pinch or stall
• Rubber overmold provides enhanced grip and comfort
• Recessed spindle lock design allows max depth of cut and greater protection to button when using in confined spaces
• Two position side handle offers greater comfort and control
The motor spins the 125mm disc at 7000rpm and has 1W power input.
DeWALT DCS575 54v XR Circular Saw
• Scale for precise cutting depth setting to 67 mm
• General purpose ripping, cross-cutting and bevelling circular saw for wood and other construction materials
• High torque motor for durability and power for cutting job site and joinery materials
• Stable block construction for low vibration running and long service life
• Additional handle for safe two-handed work
• Variable adjustment of the bevel angle to 57 degrees
Supplied with two 54v FLEXVOLT batteries, the motor spins the blade at 5800rpm and will cut 49mm at 45º.
DeWALT DCS7485 54v XR Table Saw
- Weighs just 22kg with a compact footprint, ideal for transporting across site
- Steel roll cage to protect the saw
- Rack and pinion fence system, front and rear fence lock and large, clear scales combine to give an extremely accurate and easy to use saw
- Powerful 54v brushless motor for high performance
- Overload protection system ensures powerful performance in hard, wet or frozen woods
- Quick bevel lock with large scale for quick and accurate adjustments
- Idea for working on solid wood florings, concrete form work, fitting out decks
The motor spinds the 210mm blade at 5800rpm and allows for a maximum rip of 610mm (right) and 318mm (left), while offering you a depth of cut of 65mm or 45mm at 45º.
Other tools in the range and due to launch August 2016 are the DCS388 recip saw, the DCS397 Alligator Saw and the DCS777 216mm mitre saw. There's also a couple of battery chargers, the DCB118 and the DCB132 twin version.
So, to summarise, DeWALT's new FLEXVOLT XR batteries will work on your existing XR cordless tools, and will provide you with all-day runtime. But combine them with the brushless heavy duty tools, and you'll have all the power and capability you'd expect from a corded machine, without the power cord. They'll also transport easily.
Let us know what you think of this cordless power tool evolution from DeWALT, and SHARE this article with your friends!
blog comments powered by Disqus